28 March 2016

Carrot and Walnut Loaf


Sometimes it's the simple things, right? The things that keep you going. The things that make you step back and take a breath and just be. I needed this bake as much as I needed a break, a breather, a catch up this weekend. 

One word. Chocolate.

The chocolate was everywhere. It still is everywhere. Now don't get me wrong, I am a massive fan of chocolate but... Ugh... The kids get so many Easter eggs, you can't get away from them. 

So this loaf came out of some sort of sugar coma guilt complex.

It's an easy one-bowl-great-for-breakfast-loaf. It's filled with brown flour, ground almonds and walnuts. Packed with orange, juicy carrots, a hint of spice and a little bit of brown sugar. It's probably the healthiest thing I bake and it's soooo good.

I love it toasted, smooshed with some real butter and a hot coffee. It's the simplest thing in the world to make. You can't mess this up and it's a real deal cake for breakfast notion. 


Carrot and Walnut Loaf
50g self-raising flour
250g brown flour
75g ground almonds
1tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
150g soft brown sugar
250ml vegetable oil
100ml buttermilk
4 large free range eggs
2 medium sized, grated carrots
100g chopped walnuts

Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F or Gas 4. Line a loaf tin with some parchment.
In a medium bowl, sift together the flours, cinnamon, and baking powder and then add the sugar. Stir in the almonds. Add the oil and eggs, mix until blended, then stir in the carrots and nuts. Pour the mix into your prepared tins.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in your preheated oven. Check for done-ness before removing from the oven, a skewer inserted into the cake should come out clean. Allow the loaf to cool in the tin before removing it. 







It doesn't make me feel bad about eating it and it's definitely not chocolate. This cake is super moist, packed with good flavour! Try it toasted, you won't regret it!

A treat I think the Easter bunny would approve of I think!

2 comments:

  1. That looks and sounds so good. I know just what you mean about the sugar coma thing, even without small kids at home we seem to be drowning in chocolate. But I'm tempted by this. I recently discovered toasted banana bread which was the best thing ever so I imagine this would work the same way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh god.. I made a burnt sugar banana bread before and it was to die for toasted! You just reminded me of that, thanks Gina! Have a great weekend! X

      Delete

 
Copyright © Procrastibake | Theme by Neat Design Corner |