05 August 2016

Lemon Curd


There are some things that annoy me when it comes to baking... like when I am making a batch of  meringue or macaron and I end up with a mass of leftover egg yolks.

I hate waste you see. Hate it.

There's only so much custard you can make with left over egg yolks, without wanting to never-eat-custard-again. And I am talking custard and all it's variations of pie, tart cake, cupcakes, fillings etc, etc, etc!

I decided this time to make Lemon Curd. Because in all fairness that stuff lasts forever if you need it too but also doesn't because it tastes soooo good on pretty much everything you put it on! Toast, scones, biscuits, bread, crackers, splodged through meringue and cream for a lemon fool, sandwiched in a Victoria Sponge for a change of pace on the jam.

Licked straight off the spoon as you look into the fridge hoping for dinner to appear magically before your eyes so you can just heat it up and head back to your book and the summer holidays... You feeling me.

This stuff is the bees knees.





Homemade Lemon Curd

I get 4, 250g pots out of this recipe.

4 lemons worth of juice ( and zest if you like, but I don't like it bitty)

400g caster sugar

200g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
6 free-range egg yolks 
1 tablespoon corn flour

Put the lemon juice, the sugar and the butter into a heatproof bowl. Sit the bowl over a pan of simmering water, making sure the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl. 
Stir the mixture every now and again until all of the butter has melted and you get this big gooey, lemon butter mess!
Lightly whisk the egg yolks, then add the corn flour and mix together. 
Stir them into the lemon mixture. 
Whisk until all of the ingredients are well combined, then leave to cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring the mixture every now and again, until it is thick and creamy. You'll know it's thick enough when it coats the back of a spoon.
Remove the lemon curd from the heat and set to one side to cool, stirring occasionally as it cools. 
Once cooled, spoon the lemon curd into sterilized jars and seal. 
Keep in the fridge until ready to use.

This photo, one more time.. because that gloopy goodness.... Oh my, you guys! All the heart eye emojis!
Have a super weekend whatever you plan on doing. I hope the weather is going to pick up.. I am not ready for Autumn just yet. Two weeks and counting for my Masters hand up deadline. Normality resumes thereafter. Right?

1 comment:

  1. Good luck for that Masters hand in. How you have time to bake I'll never know. And you're not the only one who stands looking at the fridge waiting for dinner to appear... It never does!

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © Procrastibake | Theme by Neat Design Corner |