20 August 2015

Caramelised Peach Upside Down Cake


When I saw peaches on this months choice board for The Cake Slice Bakers, I knew that there would be no need for me to read through the other options. Mom's birthday is the 18th of August and I knew she would like this cake. It was killing two birds with the one stone for me.. Plus with peaches being in season, there really was no other option.

But I probably should have read the whole recipe through before deciding I was making this cake. It was supposed to be a skillet cake.. And um... I don't actually own a skillet pan. Can you imagine that? Well it's the truth! This cake was a make it all in the one pan, bake it in that pan, invert it out of that pan and hey presto! Skillet Peaches Upside Down Cake. 

Again I don't actually own a skillet pan so imagine my dismay, when I had everything ready to go but no actual pan to start in. Not one to be put off by such trivial things, trivial and oh so incredibly pertinent to the whole integrity of this actual cake, I carried on.





I made as described the caramel for the peaches. Just in my trusty frying pan. I poured that delicious goo into a 10' spring form pan, that I had wrapped in foil along the bottom. I concentrically arranged all the peaches I had cut (and shaped into almost equal sizes) around the bottom of the pan, right on top of the caramel.

In a separate bowl I prepared my batter and poured it over. I baked the cake at the exact temperature required but lessened my baking time. And I think it worked out just as well.

The plain flour has less gluten in it, so the crumb is fine and crumbly. The caramelisation process that the peaches go through makes them sweet and sticky and adds a more robust flavour. You can taste the depth of the brown sugar, melding with the juice from the peaches, soaked up by that gorgeous crumb.





Caramelised Peach Upside Down Cake
- recipe adapted from Southern Cakes

about 6 medium peaches, peeled and cut into even wedges. (or used tinned if you're in a hurry/lazy/couldn't really be bothered skinning peaches)
250g plain flour
3/4tsp baking powder
310g caster sugar
180g soft butter
125g light brown sugar
1 vanilla bean
2 large eggs
125ml buttermilk

Preheat your oven to 350F/180C or Gas mark 4. Line the bottom of a baking sheet with parchment and the bottom of your spring form pan with tin foil.
Sift your flour and baking powder together.
In your frying pan, cook half the sugar over a medium heat, until the sugar melts and turns a deep amber colour. This should take about 10 minutes.
Remove from the heat and immediately add 60g of the butter stirring vigorously.
Pour the caramelised sugar into the bottom of your cake pan and spread it out so it evenly coats the bottom.
Arrange the peaches in a circular fashion, overlapping as needed. Sprinkle the top of the peaches with the brown sugar.
Split the vanilla bean length ways and add to a mixing bowl. Beat the rest of the sugar, butter and eggs until smooth. Add the buttermilk and gradually add the flour, beating on low until just blended together.
Spoon the batter over the peach wedges and place the pan on the baking sheet if your haven't already done so,
Bake on the middle shelf for 40-45 minutes until golden brown on top and a skewer inserted in the centre, comes out clear.
Coll the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, before running a knife around the edges. Pop the side of your spring form pan open.
Invert the cake onto your serving plate and allow to cool.
Serve garnished with a lightly sweetened whipped cream and enjoy!

If you'd like to see what the other bakers got up to this month.. follow the linky below. Or check them out on the The Cake Slice Facebook Page.





7 comments:

  1. I am quite partial to your peach desserts, and if you ask me, you can't go wrong with any peach dessert!! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How clever to substitute a springform pan for the skillet! Love the beautiful peaches and glad to see that the cake layer on your cake was somewhat thin, too. You did a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Hazel...this cake looks luscious!!! I had my eye on this one, but you know, I don't own a skillet, either yet. And I decided to make life easy and make a loaf cake. I wish I had made this instead. It would be worth it for the caramelized peaches alone! Beautiful! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like all's well that ends well, Hazel. Your substitution of the springform seems to have saved the day. And produced a scrumptious cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Skillet pan or not this is one lovely cake and a great option for a birthday celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't really like upside down cakes or peaches for that matter but I'd love to try a slice of this, I love your talk of caramel-y peaches, yum! Laura@ Baking in Pyjamas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for showing us that skillet or no skillet, this cake still came out awesome! Love your new blog set up!

    This was my first (but would have to use canned peaches), had a 2nd choice too but then I opted to bake my third choice!

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © Procrastibake | Theme by Neat Design Corner |