04 September 2015

Almond Cake with a Fig Jam and Mascarpone Topping (Gluten Free)


Husband said do not post that picture with the words.. It's lame. But then who is he to judge, he's lame. I am lame. We are all lame in our own way and I am posting the picture. Because it makes me laugh. 

I make the funniest of jokes.. not that they are that funny in real life mind you. But in my head, in my head I am freaking hilarious! 

You know what's not hilarious? Having a food allergy. Am I am not talking to you folk who choose to avoid certain ingredients in your diet.. I am talking about those people who straight up can not eat dairy, gluten, nuts, shell fish.. the list is exhaustive.

Not being allergic or sensitive to anything, ingredients wise, is something I take for absolute granted. It's not that I don't know there are millions of people out there with crazy, specific food allergies but it's something that doesn't immediately impact me or my family and I never give much thought to it.

Until I have to bake "free from". I know a few recipes that work, I have tried a lot that don't and because I don't understand all the mechanics of free from.. I get stumped. Lucky for me, I have a wealth of knowledge in my friends online and can pop by any one of their amazing blogs and try figure out my way around this unknown world.


(Gluten Free) Almond Cake

150g soft butter (TIP: make it free from dairy by using 150ml vegetable oil)
150g soft brown sugar
2 eggs
180g gound almonds
125g gluten free flour (I used Dove's Farm)
60ml buttermilk (TIP:make it free from diary by using almond milk)
1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder

Preheat your oven to 180C/350F or gas mark 4.
Line a 6/7 inch baking tin with parchment and leave to one side.
Beat the butter (or oil) with the usggar until light and fluffy and add the eggs one at a time.
Fold in the ground almonds, flour and baking powder.
Mix in the buttermilk (or almond milk) gently until fully incorporated.
Scrape out into your lined tin and bake for 35-45 minutes. The top will go golden but the middle might be still wet, use a skewer to test for wetness in the middle.
Allow to cool in the pan before removing it.

Make the jam while the cake is cooking.



Figgy Jam

8 figs halved
1 medium sized lemons worth of lemon juice
125g brown sugar
2 tbsp of butter
2-4 tablespoons of water
Pinch of salt

In a pan- over a medium heat, melt the butter.
Add the sugar and allow it to dissolve.
Toss the halved figs in the lemon juice and water and add the mix the the pan.
Continue to cook over a medium heat until have a chunky jam consistency. Stir occasionally to make sure it doesn't stick or burn.
Add the pinch of salt, remove from the heat and allow to cool.



Putting it all together...

While the cake and jam are cooling, whip one 225g tub of mascarpone cheese and  225ml of single cream together until it reaches soft peaks.

When the jam has cooled remove any large fig pieces, to use in decoration, and fold the jam through the mascarpone/cream mix. Spoon on top of the cooled cake and place the saved figs in the centre.

Slice and serve with utter delight!




This week the GBBO Bloggers baked "free from". There are some amazing things for you all to try over on Kirsty's blog. You 'll find our link up there as she is hosting this week.

Do make sure you stop and by and challenge yourself something!!




7 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmm!!!!! Sounds delicious and is making me very hungry!!! I might have to go and get a biscuit now! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. get a biscuit, get two.. I am a huge fan or biscuits Amy!! hehehe!

      Delete
  2. now see i find that bloody funny because it is the exact same thing that I would do and find funny! ha ha love it. i also love the look and sound of your cake - that foggy jam looks so sticky and moreish! Yum
    thank you for linking up x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup! getting' figgy with it is the best.. And let me you the jam on it's own is so yum! A definite lick the bowl moment!

      Delete
  3. Now I am singing that song in my head! I love figs and your cake looks amazing, wonderful flavours x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops!! Sorry Lucy.. a new ear worm! ha! But thank you for your lovely comments! X

      Delete
  4. Oh my! This looks and sounds simply divine! My hubby loves figs, this would definitely be a hit in our house x #GBBOBloggers2015

    ReplyDelete

 
Copyright © Procrastibake | Theme by Neat Design Corner |