10 January 2016

Peach Winter Crumble


With January well on it's way, I have been finding it hard to get back into things. College isn't back until the end of this month and I think because I had worked so hard last semester, I deserve an elongated break... whether or not that's right, it is what I am telling myself anyway!

I'm not a fan of January, a strange month. An in between month, sort of a no mans land with a tendency to throw up atrocious weather and consequently, varying degrees of boredom. Now you could say here if I started back into college work I could curb some boredom but then.. I wouldn't have time to bake you see, so really it's best I leave that for another while.

I did find in the absence of activity, the need to look into my kitchen drawers and ponder whether or not they will ever look as good as those you see in the magazines. I noticed the half empty packets of bits and pieces and figured I would put them to good use in a fruit crumble. 

Thing is, tinned peaches were all I had in abundance. And with my kids and husband having a strong aversion to any fruit that isn't chocolate, I was making this crumble for myself. Not that that's a real problem per say, but it is a problem when you are trying to reduce your sugar intake or you know, watching your waistline expand. 




Peach Winter Crumble
The Peaches:
2 cans of peach halves
2  tbsp soft brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
Pinch of ground cloves

The Crumble:
140g plain flour
60g ground almonds
100g porridge oats (not instant)
75g cold butter
50g soft brown sugar

Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F or Gas mark 4.
Drain the peaches and pop them into a deep baking dish. Scatter over the sugar and the spices and then toss everything together.
In a bowl, combine the flour, oats, ground almonds and soft brown sugar.
In another bowl, melt the butter in the microwave and pour into the crumble mix. Mix together with a fork until you have a rough crumbly, squidgy mixture.

Scatter over the peaches, then bake for 25-35 mins until golden and crunchy on top.

Allow to cool and enjoy!




How are you getting through January? Or do you like being marooned on no mans land.. I'd love to know what you think!


6 comments:

  1. January isn't so bad for me, I am less keen on February! Crumble of any kind at any time is always wonderful though!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no.. my birthday is February so I always like January to hurry up! Hehe! X

      Delete
  2. That sounds like just the sort of pud to get through January. I don't mind the first week which always feels full of fresh promise but by now I've had enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Yip, I get that feeling Gina! I am with you there.. not long to go now though!

      Delete
  3. This looks and sounds delicious. I'm sure it wasn't too big a hardship not being able to share it with your family ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was the best feeling.. 'well you could have some crumble..' muhahahaha!!

      Delete

 
Copyright © Procrastibake | Theme by Neat Design Corner |